March 3, 2009

overwelmed by needs

Steve and I have run into lots of opportunities to help people this week. Pray that the Lord would teach us discernment through these situations.

Steve is at a prayer meeting right now at our church, and he has invited the man that he met yesterday, and gave him the bus fair (50 cents) and directions to the meeting. Pray that this man will be a man of his word and meet Steve there tonight.

I met a lady at the library today with her little girl, and she is about to have another baby. She was asking me for a carriage and cloths, when I started asking her about her spiritual journey, she changed the subject back again to the shoes that I had told her Elliott had outgrown. I told her I would meet her at the library again to give her the items. Pray that she would be open to things of the Lord.

As anyone can tell you that has been outside the bubble of the USA the needs of people are overwhelming. Our purpose needs to be to help them for the long term, there eternal destination. How easy it would be just to pass out food, and clothes, and money, but that will not change peoples lives. Only Gods word has the power to change peoples hearts. And of coarse there is the book of James where it tells us to give to those who need food and clothing.

I know that God is growing both of us through our first cross cultural experience. I know that we will experience the same situations in Argentina. So pray that God will give us wisdom in these and many other situations that come our way on a daily basis of living in a different country. Thank you! Becky, for the Diems

3 comments:

Phil said...

Great words Becks. It is our hearts desire to be able to share with them the only thing that fill their "eternal" needs.

sj said...

I am praying for you guys! I think of you (at the very least) every Sunday when I see your picture on the wall. I know God will direct you in all the decisions you have to make, even the small ones like whether or not to give someone 50 cents. :)

-Sarah M.

Diem Family said...

Thanks for the comments and prayers.
What has been a challenge is that when you give to people who live on the street you become a source of their finances, especially when they come to your door and know where you live. Typically we've heard stories that are hard to verify the truth and you don't ever know if the money you give actually goes where they say it will. So, thanks for praying for wisdom.

The guy I gave the bus fare to, never came to church...