November 25, 2008

Electricity + Water ?

Normally you wouldn't mix water and electricity, but here they do. These devices are affectionately called "widow makers."
We have hot water again in bathroom! Many of the homes here including ours do not have hot water, including our kitchen etc. But so that we can have a hot shower we have an electric hot water producing shower head that is hard wired. Well ours burned out and I was able to purchase a new one at the hardware store and install it. Our landlord was pretty excited that he didn't need to call someone to do it and agreed to deduct the cost of materials from our next months rent.

Becky asked me when I could fix it...and I told her "manana."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Nicaragua one time and we used these. The worst part about it was that the power switch was inside the shower and it was a circuit breaker with metal exposed. Yeah, I have never taken a shower so carefully as then.

Unknown said...

Steve
That heater looks fairly new compared to the one I used at SETECA in GUA way back in 2001. I think the one I used (and Rob, Phil, etc) had some bare wires showing! Yeah, I don't think those would meet any code in the states...
Jason