September 13, 2008

Queque con Carne

We have been learning more about the culture, learning to love the food, and learning to love the language. We are enjoying, and looking forward to learning more about the “Ticos” (What Costa Ricans call themselves).
This was our second week of school third week in Costa Rica, time has gone by fast. This week I missed two days of school because Josiah was sick this week. Almost everyone we have talked to in school has gotten some sort of virus within the first month of being here. Then Steve got sick. He was up all night, poor guy. So the next morning I got the two kids breakfast, lunches made ready and packed for the day, and off to school we went. I had a test in grammar, which I think went well. Some of our friends from school walked me home on Friday, so that I didn’t have to be alone. Safety is a big thing here, please be in prayer for our family as we walk every where we need to go. God is gracious and has protected us in ways that we have seen, and in many ways we probably will never know.
I went to the fruit market this morning with my big sister and her friends (our big brother had his appendix out this week). God provided so much help yesterday and today. Last night Brian Dennett brought over a couple of things for us that we needed. It was a blessing that I didn’t have to try to go out on my own with the two boys to the corner store with what little Spanish I know.
This is a long weekend for us! Praise God, because we all need a little extra rest and relaxation. This Monday is Costa Rican independence day. The children have been practicing for the parade all week right in front of our house. It was fun to go out of our gate and watch it with Josiah. Friday Josiah and Elliott where in a little parade at our school. It was really cute!
Back to adjusting to the culture... I made some banana bread this week, left it on the stove covered in tin foil. The next morning I came down excited that breakfast was done, took off the tin foil and saw a million little bugs no bigger then a speck of sand all over the banana bread. We have a sweet little lady one day a week to come help teach me Spanish who also teaches me to cook a Costa Rican meal with her. She came that morning, I showed her the bread, and she said “No problem.” She put it in the oven for a couple of minutes, took it out and all the bugs were gone. She proceded to eat it and enjoy it. Later that afternoon after school I came back and we cooked dinner together, and then we were working on my home work, and she offered me a piece of the bread. I said “no thanks,” and she asked “ Do you trust the Tico way of doing things?” I paused and thought that this is going to be the first time amongst many that I will set aside my fear of getting sick to show that I trust there ways too. I ate it, and we made jokes and had a great time. We called it “Queque con carne (Cake with meat).” I didn’t get sick either!
Adjusting to culture has taught me a lot about my own spiritual life. We can read all about it in books…like learning how to become a great Christian but we continually need to take that step of faith and trust that God will meet us there. God is there, whatever situation God has placed you in, God is there, and has equipped you to handle it. Pray for us as we put these thoughts into action. We know this and have been taught this and we are called to live it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So good to hear about what you're doing and how God is working. We're praying for you!!
The St Jeans

Diem Family said...

Hey St. Jeans, Thanks so much for your prayers! We also got loved the letter you sent us in the mail!

Unknown said...

Hey Diems!
Becky, you are doing well, really!!! You're making memories that will last a lifetime, and most importantly, it is all for His praise and glory! I pray for you guys all the time! Post your address!

Diem Family said...

Hi Pricilla, thanks for your prayers. We updated our contact info: click on the "contact" tab at the top of the main page.
We love you!
-Beckys